Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Sharptail Eel

When I spotted this guy, I had no idea that I had spotted an eel that many divers, and locals of the island have never seen before. Our dive instructor who had been giving dive tours for years had never spotted one of these before, and when I showed him the picture I took, he was baffled at what the creature could be.
At first I thought I was seeing a water snake, so I stood as far away as possible, because I didn't know if it was poisonous, or if it would strike at me.

When I got home, I had to find out what this long eel like snake actually was. After hours of endless photo searching on Google.come, I came across the Sharptail Eel.

The sharptail eel is a rarer sight, and is normally found in Panama, but sometimes seen in the Bahamas, only more rare.

I felt pretty excited that I managed to see this eel up close. It's actually really pretty, with a long slender brown body, and white colored dots on it's body.

The head is the most interesting because it actually looks more like a snake, but the Sharptail Eel seems to have some sort of whiskers.

This fella was literately no more than 10 feet off shore, and he seemed to be slowly cruising around the bottom of the sea. Maybe looking for some crabs to feast on?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to share? Feel free to comment

Dolphins at Unexo, Grand Bahama Island, Flipping Video!

Dolphin Moonwalking at Unexo, Grand Bahama Island Video

Stingray Right Off Shore at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach; Video

Puffer Fish That Lives In The Larger Reef At Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

Beautiful Video Of Fish At Reef on Grand Bahamas Island